Friday, January 17, 2014

A Far Cry From Eating Superman's Cape

I had plans for this Friday evening that did not involve Beautiful Bella. Grown up plans. Plans that involved the Hubs, that new movie Elysium, the fireplace, a snuggly blanket, and (after much deliberation via group text with the besties this afternoon) Chinese takeout.

Beautiful Bella had plans for this Friday evening that did not involve Mama and Daddy. Granddaughter plans. Plans that involved spending her snow day packing toys and crayons and Exciting Things in her overnight bag in anticipation of her sleepover with Nana and Poppy.

And then.

Poppy had a fever. I swear, my whole family has been sick all winter. Ugh. Suffice it to say all involved parties were disappointed.

Hello, Family Date Friday. New plans:

The relatively new Cadillac Cafe in town was a pretty good substitute for a romantic dinner via chopsticks, the cute diner decor and the fact that it was something different probably being its most important characteristics. Our waitress was one of my students whom I love dearly and I enjoyed seeing her and listening to her recommendations (fried pickles and the grilled chicken sandwich, by the way). We finished a pretty normal family dinner and topped it off with hand-dipped ice cream for dessert.

A few minutes into her Superman ice cream cone, Bella announced, dead serious: 
"Mama, I think I just took a bite of his cape." 
She also promised me his powers if I tasted it. 
This might be my favorite thing she has ever said. 

My plans for this evening were a far cry from eating Superman's cape, but I can't complain. 

Well, I mean, I'm not flying around and don't have x-ray vision, so that's kind of a bummer.

How can you get creative when things don't work out the way you'd planned? And, more importantly, what memories can you make from those unpredictable moments?

Live on. 









1 comment:

  1. I am the WORSE about keeping a good attitude when my plans don't go as planned. I'm a huge planner so when something gets messed up I feel like all my work was for nothing but getting to practice my planning skills (which are perfect by the way...haha). Glad y'all were able to make the best of the night.

    ReplyDelete