Sunday, February 16, 2014

Infinite Love


When we least expect it, the Universe goes out of its way to reveal our greatest blessings. 

This was not supposed to be an extraordinary weekend. Yet here I am, on Sunday evening, running out of fingers and toes as I catalog my many (many, many, many, many) reasons to be thankful for my beautiful life. Between cooking with my family, being surprised by my husband, relaxing at home, going out with friends, and spending quality time with my parents, it has been an extraordinary weekend after all. 

It all began on Friday afternoon, when we were dismissed early from school. Of course, that in and of itself is not necessarily a reason to be excited, especially when you have seventh period planning, so you technically had a full day anyway, and when the reason for the dismissal is the weather forecast. I'd had a pretty great day at school, but I was dreading going grocery shopping.  And when I dread something, I dread it with my whole being. The dark cloud of the Winter Weather Warning and last-minute Valentine's Day shoppers followed me to Kroger.

I actually arrived at Bella's preschool in time to help her open her Valentines, which was super fun and set the tone for a more pleasant than expected evening at home. I opened our kitchen door to find a box of chocolates, a book I wanted, and a card from the amazing hubs. I relaxed at the kitchen table, drinking coffee and listening to "Sensitive Men of the '90s" (which is a lot less lame than it sounds) on Songza, unwinding and enjoying the snow falling outside the window. It had turned into a pretty glorious afternoon.

The gloriousness continued that evening as together we cut pizza dough into hearts with a cookie cutter and made heart-shaped Hawaiian pizzas for dinner, followed by cake and cookie dough frozen yogurt. What a fun and festive Valentine's Day in!

Saturday began with coffee, eggs, and toast. I'm still in love with making weekend breakfast in my new kitchen, so even that small task was something to celebrate. Afterward, I lounged on the couch in my pajamas and actually took a little nap there. I honestly can't remember the last time I spent Saturday morning on the couch. It felt really nice to snuggle down and just be cozy with my little family, closing the blinds against the fresh accumulation of six inches of snow outside. 

Bella was hilarious Saturday afternoon as she entertained herself while I got ready for our evening out. She was really happy to sleepover at Nana and Poppy's, which isn't always the case, so it was a welcome beginning to a fun night. 


BFF Rachel was one of the organizers for "An Italian Affair," a fundraiser dinner to benefit the Nativity Montessori School downtown. It was so much fun to see her and Chad having a good time, dancing and laughing. The six of us always have a blast, no matter where we are or what we're doing, but I especially cherished celebrating my Valentine's Day weekend with these wonderful people. They truly are better friends than I could have ever asked for, and definitely better friends than I deserve. I have also really enjoyed getting to know Estefania's brother Dani as he been here since December. Who knew you could take apart the table centerpiece and juggle it? 

This morning, I braved the treacherous roads to my parents' house. Even though they'd offered to bring Bella home to us, mom enticed me with breakfast and I went on my merry way. Spending Sunday morning with my parents is one of the (few) things I've missed since we've moved. Bella and I played with Tinker Toys and we all went sledding, even Uncle J.J. My mom was hilarious the entire time. Dad made hot cocoa and I just chilled on their couch until naptime when Bella and I headed home. 

When I look back on the past 72 hours, I can honestly say that I relished my life as I lived it, that I found joy in the journey, and that I shared my love with family and friends. 

How lucky I am to be surrounded by such infinite love. 





1 comment:

  1. This was so fun to read. You really did enjoy yourself! It's so great that you were able to see all the wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete