Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Obese Girl's Journey to the Chocolate 5K: Week 3

Well, sadly there's little to report this week. Please don't be too bummed.

One morning early this week, Coach Faulkner (our super fit assistant principal) was nearby as I was on morning supervision duty, and I asked him for advice on shin splints. He reiterated what I already suspected: rest.

So I took the week off. I did plan to go to yoga Thursday, but ended up being in Ohio visiting my little brother and missed the class.

All this time away from training has given me the opportunity to notice my body recovering day by day. When I was able to trek all over downtown Cincinnati last night in high heels, I took it as a sign that my recovery is complete.

I have, however, also noticed adverse impacts on my mood from not exercising. I haven't felt nearly as happy and balanced this week. I've always heard that exercise really does make you feel better emotionally, but I never really bought into it. Crazy how it's true!

I can't wait to get back to training this week, starting tomorrow. Since we are out for snow again (and likely will be later in the week as well, judging by the forecast), I will have ample time to get my rear in gear. (I also already have a snow day to-do list that is pretty challenging all on its own.)

Since I don't have any workout tips or reflections for you this week, I want to share the recipe I made tonight in honor of the big game that we don't really care that much about around here, but can't resist cooking for each year.

I braved the Winter Weather Warning and Super Bowl Sunday conditions at Kroger this morning and grabbed the few ingredients necessary to make these cupcakes, among other things for the next couple weeks.


I found the recipe on Pinterest, but you can find it here.

They are said to have only 110 calories per cupcake, including frosting. Ours didn't quite churn out 24, more like 17. The "frosting" (sugar-free Cool Whip and sugar-free pudding mix) was a little difficult to work with, so they weren't super pretty, but I also didn't try very hard since they were just for us. I think it's always a risk with you try baking with artificial sweeteners, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The fake taste is there, but I'm not complaining...it's a great low-cal alternative to the full-flavor sweets. 

Also on the menu for the week: 
Better-Than-Takeout Fried Rice *made for the 1st time the night of the Great Locked Out Incident
And more! 

I use Pinterest for menu planning. In addition to my "Mindful Menu" board, I have a secret board just for the recipes I am grocery shopping for, to help me make my list. It's only secret so my followers don't have to see me re-pinning my own Pins all over again. 

I guess the moral(s) of the story for this week are:
  1. Listen to your body when it tells you to slow down. 
  2. Use time away from training to be productive in other ways, like planning future workouts and making healthy meals. 
  3. Exercise is cheaper than therapy and healthier than anti-depressants. 
  4. Don't just quit. Get back to work!
I just know I'm going to have great success to share with you next Sunday. Stay tuned. 

Have you ever experienced a setback when working toward a goal? And, more importantly, how did you use that setback to learn, reflect, and grow? 

Live on. 






1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I literally have to sit and write down the steps to get back on track. I am a huge list maker so I have to see exactly what needs to be done in order to get it right. Good job at knowing you need to rest and good luck on getting back on track. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete