Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Obese Girl's Journey to the Chocolate 5K: Week 4


Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. Along with, Think how awesome it will feel to shop for running gear and not feel like a poser

I can't wait until the day I can call myself a runner. And really mean it. 

I can't wait until the day I can outrun a swarm of hungry zombies. Well...you'll see what I mean. 

This fitspo mindset helped me ease back into training this past week. Here's a recap of my week in fitness, the YouTube edition: 

Monday:
The shin splints were still fresh in my mind Monday. I really am doing all I can to keep that from ever happening again. However, I knew I needed to get back into the habit of working out, even if I was still shaking in my sneakers at the thought of flipping the switch on the treadmill.

I'm actually kind of glad I decided to work my arms instead, because I found a fantastic set of YouTube videos from XHIT Daily (to whom I quickly subscribed) and I am crazy about them. 

I started with this one, which I originally found on Pinterest. 


I followed that up with this


because I was exercising late in the day. I like the simplicity of this sequence, but the video moves too fast--not in terms of comprehending the moves, but in terms of holding the poses and breathing. With a little modification, I found it to be a great stretch and relaxation tool. 

Wednesday:
Bella and I had fun exercising together! I am always happy when she's in the basement with us when Adam and I exercise, because I think it is a great example for her. I prefer for her to see us being active. So I was really happy when she wanted to exercise with me on Wednesday. It isn't unusual for her to be interested in doing what I'm doing, but I really wanted to encourage her and do something different for myself as well. 

I remembered doing a yoga video with a little girl I used to babysit in college, and was able to locate some video clips on YouTube! 


Now, granted Shana Banana is a little silly. But we had an absolute blast doing the Yoga Alphabet! And I also discovered that there is a ginormous selection of children's exercise material online. So we followed up with: 




Lesson learned from Wednesday's workout: preschooler yoga is harder than grownup yoga! Hopping around like a frog was really hard on my knees. 

Saturday:
Wondering when I'd get around to explaining that zombie reference? The time has come...
Several clicks deep into the Google Play store last week brought me to this cool 5K trainer app with a twist: running from zombies. Now, I'm not a zombie fan, and I've never watched The Walking Dead (although I'm relatively sure that's what's on the television downstairs right now). However, I was intrigued. It seemed to be like a video game, but without a screen. 

Turns out...I'm. In. Love.

I started with Week 1 Day 1 because I felt like I had to in order to understand the story, and also because, let's face it, I'm still in the pre-beginner phase of the running business. I did a 10 minute warmup on my own before getting started, then found myself faced with a 10 minute warmup in the program, but I was kind of happy to get off to a slow start. I kept my 3 mph pace for those 20 minutes without any difficulty. The intervals that make up the middle portion of the session are similar to C25K. Day 1 is 15 second bursts of running followed by 1 minute walks. Switching between 3 and 4.5 mph, I was pleased to find that I didn't even break a sweat until about halfway through the 10 sets. 

During the 10 minute free form run that concluded the session, I was very excited to run for 2 solid minutes before slowing down! As completely lame as that sounds, remember this: I'm the girl who had to do Day 1 of C25K twice because I couldn't get through it the first time! To be here in 4 weeks, with a little more than a week off for shin splints, that's pretty cool if you ask me. 

\
I know that puts me over an hour for 5K right now, 
but more than 20 minutes of that was walking.
I'm not mad.



As for my general impressions of the Zombies, Run! 5K Training App, I like the interactive feel of the story, being a participant in a mission. The coaching is definitely more motivating than the C25K app, with encouragements like, "Last one! Give it all you've got! Run!" and "Imagine you're running from a zom [insert gross zombie sounds]. Run!" There's also periodic encouragement during the 10 minute segments, letting you know how far you've gone. I also like that I can still listen to music in the app, and that it fades out when the characters in the story start talking. 

I also felt like this program, or maybe just the fact that I didn't feel like I was dying while I was trying to run, allowed me to focus more on my form. I tried to pay attention to how I was running, not just the fact that I was running, which I hope helps me avoid getting my shins all in a bind again in the future.

I actually can't wait to get back to it tomorrow. Who knew running from zombies would be such a great motivation? Is there already such a thing as a Zombie 5K?



1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you! That is really great that you found something you really love. You make me wish my treadmill wasn't broken because your post makes me want to jump on mine like I use to. I did do one workout video last week. I love Leslie Sansone walking videos. It is the right pace for me.

    ReplyDelete