Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: My Top 10 Favorite Quotes

My mom accuses me of not having a "theme" for my home decor. She says I just "have words everywhere," that people are forced to do a lot of reading just by being in my house. Oh yeah, and she says this like it's a bad thing. 

Does she not see that the words themselves are the theme? Does she not understand the self-restraint being applied in not having writing on every inch of every surface in the places where my life happens?

Y'all are lucky I haven't graffitied this house yet! It's just a house. If I had my way, every inch of my very body would be tattooed in words. 

So, my name is Maggie, and I'm addicted to words. I can't explain it. I can't change it. I can't live up to the beauty of the words of others. 

The incredible potential inherent in language is mind-blowing. Words can change our mood, our lives, our futures. Words, spoken or written or painted or interpretatively danced, shape our world in ways we cannot fathom.

In honor of that power, I give you my top 10 favorite quotes.

In no particular order...

Okay, so that one is in a particular order. Surprise! It's my all-time fave from my all-time fave poem. It sounds sort of depressing at first, but there are infinite layers of meaning in this short sentence. For one, to die is luckier than we imagine simply because it means we have lived


A magnificent reminder that not only are we capable of doing "scary" things, but also that freedom is found in them.


I read this and I'm immediately looking for Narnia in my closet, but I know Lewis has more important lessons to teach me about where I'm headed.  P.S. Mom had an old wardrobe when I was a kid. It was my first disappointment in life. 


Sigh. Just dreamy. Adam used to tell me a beautiful story about soul mates when we first started dating. This quote reminds me of those times. 


Have you ever read a more perfect metaphor? Didn't think so. (If you haven't already, read The Fault in Our Stars.)



My students recently shared a startling revelation: Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken can actually be interpreted negatively. What? I had never heard this, but came to see the argument. Van Gogh, however, is straight-forward in telling us which path is the best. New fave. Darn you, Frost and your potentially ambiguous advice on path-choosing.


Ah, Kacey Musgraves. This is from the only country music album I own, and I love many of the lyrics. Follow Your Arrow quickly became my favorite. 


When I'm 90, I want to say I lived all the happy minutes I could get my hands on. Dear Maggie, be angry less often. Or at least for shorter periods of time. 


My mama taught me to love this poem from an early age. (See, the words on my walls are her fault!) This is the final sentence in what is easily one of the most motivating poems I've ever read. If you're unfamiliar with Desiderata, read it here. It might change your life. It also may or may not be written in Sharpie, in its entirety, on a bulletin board in my classroom. 


And finally, this one. I was only recently introduced to the work of Tyler Knott Gregson. I found his quotes and poetry on Pinterest, of all places. This is my favorite. If I ever get another poetry tattoo, it will be this. 

So, I may be addicted, but can you blame me?

Are you like me: shamelessly in love with quotes and words? What's in your Top Ten? If you could get any quote tattooed on your body, what would it be? What words define your life? 

Live on. 


2 comments: